modifiable config files in compiled code?

Maarten Sneep iintbeumtnbfkcpntohw__NOSP at M__xs4all.nl.invalid
Fri Mar 11 05:21:40 EST 2005

In article <1110512086.762856.158170 at f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
 "gaudetteje at gmail.com" <gaudetteje at gmail.com> wrote:

> Since this utility will also be ported to the linux world, does anyone
> know what the linux/unix counterpart of a Windows .INI configuration
> file is?

ConfigParser works on Linux and Mac as well. Configuration files on
Linux/Unix have a high 'roll your own' value: the format basically
depends on the needs of the program.

> I suppose I could get away with using XML for my config files and avoid
> having two different tools altogether.

I think you could do worse than adopt the Apple .plist format. There
is already a pure python module for these:

   http://sarwat.net/opensource/

The advantage of the plist module is that the type of the variables is
stored as well, and that you can store complex variables (lists,
dictionaries) without mangling.

Maarten