Win32 drive mapping... aka "net use"

mensanator at aol.com mensanator at aol.com
Sat Mar 5 12:59:27 EST 2005

Lucas Machado wrote:
> Alex Martelli wrote:
>
> > import win32net

win32net.NetUseAdd(None,1,{'remote':r'\\server\share','local':'K:'})

> > is an example (not all that easy to fathom from the docs, but I
> > found it out with a little help from the docs, a little from MSDN,
> > and a little experimentation).
>
> I looked through the MSDN and was not able to find much information
on
> how to properly use the NetUseAdd function.

C:\>net help use

> I searched for the
> function and looked through the results but all it showed was some
data
> structure, but i was actually looking for a list of all possible
> arguments and which arguments were/were not required.

The syntax of this command is:

NET USE
[devicename | *] [\\computername\sharename[\volume] [password | *]]
        [/USER:[domainname\]username]
        [/USER:[dotted domain name\]username]
        [/USER:[username at dotted domain name]
        [/SMARTCARD]
        [/SAVECRED]
        [[/DELETE] | [/PERSISTENT:{YES | NO}]]

NET USE {devicename | *} [password | *] /HOME

NET USE [/PERSISTENT:{YES | NO}]

NET USE connects a computer to a shared resource or disconnects a
computer from a shared resource. When used without options, it lists
the computer's connections.

devicename       Assigns a name to connect to the resource or specifies
                 the device to be disconnected. There are two kinds of
                 devicenames: disk drives (D: through Z:) and printers
                 (LPT1: through LPT3:). Type an asterisk instead of a
                 specific devicename to assign the next available
                 devicename.
\\computername   Is the name of the computer controlling the shared
                 resource. If the computername contains blank
characters,
                 enclose the double backslash (\\) and the computername
                 in quotation marks (" "). The computername may be from
                 1 to 15 characters long.
\sharename       Is the network name of the shared resource.
\volume          Specifies a NetWare volume on the server. You must
have
                 Client Services for Netware (Windows Workstations)
                 or Gateway Service for Netware (Windows Server)
                 installed and running to connect to NetWare servers.
password         Is the password needed to access the shared resource.
*                Produces a prompt for the password. The password is
                 not displayed when you type it at the password prompt.
/USER            Specifies a different username with which the
connection
                 is made.
domainname       Specifies another domain. If domain is omitted,
                 the current logged on domain is used.
username         Specifies the username with which to logon.
/SMARTCARD       Specifies that the connection is to use credentials on
                 a smart card.
/SAVECRED        Specifies that the username and password are to be
saved.
                 This switch is ignored unless the command prompts for
username
                 and password.  This option is not available on Windows
XP
                 Home Edition and will be ignored.
/HOME            Connects a user to their home directory.
/DELETE          Cancels a network connection and removes the
connection
                 from the list of persistent connections.
/PERSISTENT      Controls the use of persistent network connections.
                 The default is the setting used last.
YES              Saves connections as they are made, and restores
                 them at next logon.
NO               Does not save the connection being made or subsequent
                 connections; existing connections will be restored at
                 next logon. Use the /DELETE switch to remove
                 persistent connections.
NET HELP command | MORE displays Help one screen at a time.