mod_python & "please recompile it with -DEAPI" apache warning

ggg at gg.com ggg at gg.com
Mon Mar 7 13:32:17 EST 2005

In regards to mod_python, I keep getting this warning when I do
apachectl configtest:

[warn] Loaded DSO libexec/mod_python.so uses plain Apache 1.3 API, this
module might crash under EAPI! (please recompile it with -DEAPI)

So I googled what I can, and have read various responses. Most say you
just need to recompile the module with the DEAPI flag. I was getting the
same message for mod_php, and fixed that. However, with the same config
command, it doesn't fix it for mod_python:

1)
CFLAGS="-DEAPI -fPIC" ./configure --with-apxs=/www/bin/apxs
make
make install

I later read someone trying this to the the MakeFile after configuring:

2) added to MakeFile after config:
EXTRA_CFLAGS=-DEAPI

There was even someone claiming this is a documented bug - implying not
to worry about it? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.