Python 2.4 removes None data type?

gaudetteje at gmail.com gaudetteje at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 16:47:11 EST 2005

I just read in the 'What's New in Python 2.4' document that the None
data type was converted to a constant:
http://python.org/doc/2.4/whatsnew/node15.html

"""
# None is now a constant; code that binds a new value to the name
"None" is now a syntax error.
"""

So, what's the implications of this?  I find the lack of explanation a
little puzzling, since I've written code that compares a variable's
type with the 'None' type.  For example, a variable would be
initialized to 'None' and if it went through a loop unchanged, I could
determine this at the end by using a conditional type(var) ==
type(None).  What will type(None) return now?