Why do descriptors (and thus properties) only work on attributes.

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Tue Mar 1 13:23:10 EST 2005

Steven Bethard wrote:
> Steve Holden wrote:
>
>> Steven Bethard wrote:

>>> Not sure what "stood on itself" really means, but if you just want to
>>> be able to have module-level properties, you can do something like:
>>>
>> Think in non-English (stand outside yourself?) for a second,
>> rememberinf Antoon is Belgian (if you knew that):
>>
>>    "on" => "by"
>>
>>    "stood on itself" => "stood by itself"
>>                      => "standalone"
>>

> Sorry, I gathered that this meant "standalone".  My problem was that I'm
> not sure what "standalone" means in the context of descriptors.
> Descriptors are invoked when dotted-attribute access is used.  When
> exactly is he proposing "standalone" descriptors would be invoked?

Well, my *guess* was Antoon was referring to module attributes - names
that can be referenced without qualification using a "." operator.

Which, I suppose, is how you read it too. Sorry.

regards
  stEvE
Come to PyCon DC 2005                      http://www.pycon.org/
Steve Holden                           http://www.holdenweb.com/