Question about string.printable and non-printable characters

Sibylle Koczian Sibylle.Koczian at Bibliothek.Uni-Augsburg.de
Mon Mar 21 07:34:40 EST 2005

Michael Hoffman schrieb:
> string.printable is a least-common denominator ASCII set. You can certainly
> make it string.printable + "aeioun" (replacing the ASCII letters with their
> accented versions in your codeset of course).

There is something I don't understand about string.printable: on the one
hand the library reference says "This is a combination of digits,
letters, punctuation, and whitespace." The value of string.letters is
locale-dependent, so string.printable should change as well after
calling locale.setlocale(). But it doesn't.

But you could always call locale.setlocale() and afterwards combine your
"printable" string yourself.

--
Dr. Sibylle Koczian
Universitaetsbibliothek, Abt. Naturwiss.

Tel.: (0821) 598-2400, Fax : (0821) 598-2410
e-mail : Sibylle.Koczian at Bibliothek.Uni-Augsburg.DE