Python becoming less Lisp-like

Bruno Desthuilliers bdesth.quelquechose at free.quelquepart.fr
Mon Mar 14 19:51:23 EST 2005

news.sydney.pipenetworks.com a écrit :

>> I looked for a new language for my hobby programming.  I used to use
>> Turbo Pascal for 10 years and then C++ for 6 years.  A couple of
>> weeks ago, I narrowed my decision to C#, Ruby, and Python.  At the
>> moment, I want to go with Python, but you can definitely see that
>> it's the oldest one: Many parts of its syntax are awkward and look
>> like patchwork.
>

> You mean you think Ruby syntax is less awkward then Python ?

It is actually. Ruby's syntax is mostly consistent and coherent, and
there is much less special cases than in Python.

Now it's also much more difficult to grasp Ruby for programmers coming
from procedural languages, but that's another story.

> Maybe you
> should add Perl to your list of languages to learn especially after your
> complaints about the decorator syntax.

I guess you stopped your exploration of Ruby at the first sign of
'special chars' syntax.

I don't like Perl, I still prefer to use Python (over Ruby) for a number
of good and less good reasons, but I somewhat share Fernando's (and some
other's people here) concerns about the future of MyFavoriteLanguage.

Bruno