OS X and Tkinter

scott scmarsh at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 18 01:44:17 EST 2005

Mike Tuller wrote:

> I have looked everywhere on the net, and can't figure out how to
> configure python so that Tkinter will work with it. Any help would be
> appreciated.

The following worked for me with OSX version 10.3 and the default python
  2.3:

http://www.pythonmac.org/wiki/FAQ#head-8838d40da5d563166ca8b13cfb71cd2e856e81e3

"
5.5 How do I install Tkinter? How do I get IDLE to work?

Here are the steps for installing Tkinter:
	• 	 Download and install TclTkAqua
	• 	 Download and install the MacPythonPantherAddons if you are using
the version of Python 2.3 included with OS X 10.3
	• 	 Open PackageManager, it is located in /Applications/MacPython-2.3
	• 	 Install _tkinter

You may then use Tkinter based applications such as IDLE, which should
also be available from PackageManager. Note that if you are running any
sort of GUI application from Terminal, you must use "pythonw" not
"python" to launch the script.

  If the PackageManager complains that it cannot open a certain URL at
www.python.org, choose "Open URL" from the "File" menu and open
http://www.python.org/packman/version-0.3/darwin-7.7.0-Power_Macintosh.plist
instead of the standard URL.
"