os.stat('<filename>')[stat.ST_INO] on Windows

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Wed Mar 2 22:43:55 EST 2005

"Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:

>Tim Roberts wrote:
>>>Are inodes supported on Windows NTFS, FAT, FAT32?
>>
>> No.  Inodes are strictly a Unix filesystem concept.
>
>I disagree. NTFS MFT records are so similar to inodes
>that their numbers could well be used in st_ino (except
>that they are 64-bit quantities, whereas st_ino
>typically has only 32 bits).

Hmmm, yes, but nearly 100% of Unix geeks have seen an inode number in their
programming adventures, whereas I'll bet not 1 in 10,000 Windows hardliners
has ever seen an MFT entry.

There are things you can do with an inode number, but there's nothing you
can do with an MFT ordinal.

So, I'll grant that my answer was too specific, but I still believe the
answer to the original question is "no".
- Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com
  Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.