Speeding up CGIHTTPServer (Tim Roberts)

Johan Kohler kohlerj at ukzn.ac.za
Tue Mar 8 06:56:57 EST 2005

On Tue,  8 Mar 2005 10:25:46 +0100 (CET), <python-list-request at python.org>
wrote:

> I'm using CGIHTTPServer (via its test() method) to test some CGI on my
> Windoze 98 box.  I find that the execution is very slow.  Is there
> anything I can do to make sure I'm getting the best performance out of
> CGIHTTPServer?

> Compared to what, and on what hardware?

> CGI is not a rip-roaring performance demon on any platform, but
> CGIHTTPServer is designed to be convenient more than fast.  It isn't
> going
> to do as well as a native server.
> The key question you need ask is this: is it fast enough?  If you're
> doing
> a web page for internal use that is only going to get a hundred hits a
> day,
> who cares if each page takes 5 seconds to render?  If you're doing 10,000
> hits a day, you need to choose something other than Windows 98.

Fair enough.  Pretend my question said "compared to apache, but also to
CGIHTTPServer on linux".  The Windows box has modest specs Celeron 2.8GHz,
256MB, but it takes 30-60s render pages.  I was using it to test my cgi
locally, ie. no network, one user

Windows bashing is fun :-) but unfortunately I don't think that is the
issue here.  The answer I was looking for was something like - "yes,
change config file so-and-so in such-and-such a way" or simply "no."

If there is no way to improve performance, could anyone tell my _why_ it's
running so slowly?  Presumably spawning a process takes some time.  The
code I'm running as CGI is not hectic at all.

Thanks in advance,
Johan