unicode converting

Serge Orlov Serge.Orlov at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 05:53:12 EST 2005

Maxim Kasimov wrote:
> Christos TZOTZIOY Georgiou wrote:
> >
> > If unicode_data references your unicode data, all you have to send
is:

> > unicode_data.encode('utf-16') # maybe utf-16be for network order
> >
> is utf-16 string the same ucs-2? my question is how to get string
> encoded as UCS-2

utf-16 is basically a superset of ucs-2. See here for more detail:
http://www.azillionmonkeys.com/qed/unicode.html
If you ensure that ord() of each output character is < 0x10000
you'll get valid ucs-2 output if you use utf-16 encoding. If you
build python with --enable-unicode=ucs2 no character can be >= 0x10000
so you don't have to check. On the other 1) you won't be able even to
input characters >= 0x10000 into your application and 2) premature
optimization is bad and 3) There is a note in README: To compile
Python2.3 with Tkinter, you will need to pass --enable-unicode=ucs4
flag to ./configure

  Serge.