Distributing applications

Phillip Mills phillip.mills1 at acmDELETE.org
Wed Mar 2 14:04:20 EST 2005

First, thanks to all the people who have answered so far for the
suggestions.

In article <U3mVd.102616$Vf.3959417 at news000.worldonline.dk>,
 André Søreng <wsoereng at tiscali.no> wrote:

> Phillip Mills wrote:

> > My problems are:

[...]

> http://starship.python.net/crew/theller/py2exe/

Apparently I had more problems than I mentioned.  :-)  One of them being
that a Windows-only solution is only a partial solution.

> >   - I also need the core part of the application to be reasonably
> > protected.  I'm not looking to defeat hackers, but something equivalent
> > to the way Java's class files stored in jars stay where they're supposed
> > to be and aren't immediately readable.
> >
> Hmm, not sure about that one. You mean that those users who write
> extensions should not be able to modify the core code you wrote?

Partly that and partly a file management thing.  For most end users a
.jar is one thing to deal with; it's the most recent one or it's not;
it's present in the right location or it's not....

--
Phillip Mills
Multi-platform software development