Good use for Jython

Sean Blakey pythonista at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 16:43:23 EST 2005

On 15 Mar 2005 23:54:16 -0800, Mike Wimpe <mikewimpe at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Other than being used to wrap Java classes, what other real use is
> there for Jython being that Python has many other GUI toolkits
> available? Also, these toolkits like Tkinter are so much better for
> client usage (and faster) than Swing, so what would be the advantage
> for using Jython? or Is Jython really just so that Java developers can
> write Java code faster?
>
> Mike Wimpe
>
> --

I use an embedded Jython interpreter extensively for the business
logic layer of a Servlet/J2ee application. The back end uses,
Hibernate to connect to the database, so Jython's JavaBean
functionality is very useful for me, vastly simplifying and clarifying
my own logic.

As an added bonus, it is vastly easier to debug and redeploy a Jython
script file into a running system than it is to do the same with a
session EJB.

--
Sean Blakey
Saint of Mild Amusement, Evil Genius, Big Geek