capturing text from a GUI window

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Tue Mar 8 11:05:26 EST 2005

Earl Eiland wrote:
> Anyone know how to capture text from GUI output?  I need to process
> information returned via a GUI window.

It might help (at least in terms of justifying this as an
on-topic post) to describe in what way this is a Python
question.  Is it a Python program that produces the output?
Do you want to write this capture program using Python?

Also, as always, providing some detail about the platform
in question is important if you don't want to see answers
of the form "we're not mindreaders".  Operating system,
GUI framework, versions of things.

Finally, note that the process is, when possible at all,
generally highly platform-specific, awkward, and usually
relies on third-party packages (at least in Windows) that
may or may not have any Python-specific interfaces
available.

-Peter