Little Q: how to print a variable's name, not its value?

Aaron Bingham bingham at cenix-bioscience.com
Thu Mar 31 04:04:55 EST 2005

Stewart Midwinter <stewart.midwinter at gmail.com> writes:

[snip]

> Taking this idea a little further, I'd like to build a 'variable
> inspector' for my GUI app, so that I don't have to resort to debug
> statements.  Instead, I could pop open a window that lists every
> variable that has an expected None, string, int or float value, and
> select any one in order to see its value at that time.  I believe your
> method would be useful in that situation as well, no?

For that, I would suggest taking a look at Komodo
(http://www.activestate.com/Products/Komodo/) and its remote debugging
functionality, instead of building your own tool.  There may be other
IDEs that provide equivalent functionality, but I am not familiar with
them.

Regards,

Aaron Bingham
Software Engineer