Grouping code by indentation - feature or ******?

Javier Bezos no.spam at see.below.es
Sat Mar 26 04:02:13 EST 2005

"Tim Tyler" <tim at .org> escribió en el mensaje
news:IDwEr6.K2u at bath.ac.uk...
> What do you guys think about Python's grouping of code via indentation?
>
> Is it good - perhaps because it saves space and eliminates keypresses?
>
> Or is it bad - perhaps because it makes program flow dependent on
> invisible, and unpronouncable characters - and results in more
> manual alignment issues by preventing code formatters from managing
> indentation?

I particularly hate it, but Python has lots of good
things which compesate that (another annoying point
of Python are slices -- mine are always off by 1).
I always write explicitly ends as #end, so that I
can reorganice the code easily if necessary. Maybe
in the future, when Ruby matures, I could change
my mind, but currently Python is still my favourite
scripting language (as formerly was Tcl).

Javier
Javier Bezos                | TeX y tipografía
jbezos at wanadoo dot es    | http://perso.wanadoo.es/jbezos
CervanTeX (Spanish TUG)     | http://www.cervantex.org