a program to delete duplicate files

Patrick Useldinger pu.news.001 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 10:29:17 EST 2005

Scott David Daniels wrote:

>    comparisons.  Using hashes, three file reads and three comparisons
>    of hash values.  Without hashes, six file reads; you must read both
>    files to do a file comparison, so three comparisons is six files.

That's provided you compare always 2 files at a time. I compare n files
at a time, n being the number of files of the same size. That's quicker
than hashes because I have a fair chance of finding a difference before
the end of files. Otherwise, it's like hashes without computation and
without having to have a second go to *really* compare them.

-pu