(no subject)

Fri Mar 25 11:25:02 EST 2005

#! rnews 1995
Newsgroups: comp.lang.python
From: Jeff Sandys <sandysj at juno.com>
Subject: Re: Python for a 10-14 years old?
Sender: nntp at news.boeing.com (Boeing NNTP News Access)
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 16:09:50 GMT

How to Think Like a Computer Scientist is a great book for this
age group.  It is easy to read, in nice easy to digest steps, with
enough examples.  I will be using this book for a Middle School
(7-8 grade, 12-14 year old) Python Programming Club.  The hard
part is guiding students into rewarding projects that can be
accomplished in a short time.

John Zelle's _Python Programming: An Introduction to Computer
Science_ is also a very good, but it is aimed at high school and
first year college students.

Another thing that might be useful is if she has a friend that is
interested in learning programming.  They can pair program with one
reading the book while the other drives the computer.  Learning is
faster and more fun with pair programming.

Check out the Python Edu-SIG:
http://www.python.org/sigs/edu-sig/