IMAP4.search by message-id ?

Sean Dodsworth sdodswor at tpg.com.au
Wed Mar 30 03:08:57 EST 2005

Max M wrote:

> Sean Dodsworth wrote:
>> Can anyone tell me how to get a message's number from the message-id
>> using IMAP4.search?
>> I've tried this:
>>     resp, items = server.search(None, 'HEADER', '"Message-id"', msgID)
>> but it gives me a 'bogus search criteria' error
>

> Why do you need the 'HEADER'
>
> Wouldn't this be enough?
>
> resp, items = server.search(None, 'Message-id', msgID)
>
> I am note shure if the msgId should be quoted. I assume not, as it will
> allways be an integer.

Max,
Thanks, but it didnt work.
I still get the same error:
        error: SEARCH command error: BAD ['Bogus criteria list in SEARCH']
        args = ("SEARCH command error: BAD ['Bogus criteria list in SEARCH']",)

I had originally included the HEADER field as per the RFC3501 documentation:
        HEADER <field-name> <string>

also, the message-id is not an integer its a string like:
        <1e276f01c534e3$482df880$0c04080a at agsdc.net>