html tags and python

Jeremy Bowers jerf at jerf.org
Sat Mar 26 21:25:09 EST 2005

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 18:07:01 -0800, EP wrote:
> Then... about the time you start to try to build a real application with
> JavaScript, it will start to drive you mad... and you will have a new,
> greater affection for Python.

Actually, if you dig into it really hard, it's not bad. In fact of all the
languages I know, Javascript is probably the closest to Python circa 1.5.2
that I can think of. Not identical, and it doesn't have *any* of the later
nice things in Python (metaclasses, descriptors, list comprehensions,
etc.), the OO can be clumsy (though it is fairly functional), and there
are inconveniences that I really wish I could make go away, but it's not
too bad.

(The worst being that

for (var something in someArray) {}

gives you the *indices* of the array, not the values, so the next line is
almost always

  var theActualStinkingValue = someArray[something];

.)

The DOM is clumsy, but for any given browser not to bad. The *differences*
in the DOMs from browser to browser are what kill you. And of course, no
real "libraries".