win32 COM and data types / direction

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Sun Mar 6 02:21:09 EST 2005

Alexander Eisenhuth <newsuser at stacom-software.de> wrote:

>Hello everybody,
>
>i wonder how the win32 COM extension handles different C-int types
>(short, int, long).

All of those types are passed on the stack as 32-bit dwords.  No problem.

>Another question for me is weather the
>"out-direction" of parameter is supported "out of the box" ?

Yes, but you have to make them outputs from your function.  Remember that
assigning to a parameter in Python does not change the parameter from the
caller's point of view:

    def FunWithTwoInts( self, inShort, inInt ):
        print "got as short:% as int%d" % (inShort, inInt)
        return inShort + inInt

If you have multiple OUT parameters, you return a tuple of values.

- Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com
  Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.