Little Q: how to print a variable's name, not its value?

stewart.midwinter at gmail.com stewart.midwinter at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 01:06:44 EST 2005

No doubt I've overlooked something obvious, but here goes:

Let's say I assign a value to a var, e.g.:
myPlace = 'right here'
myTime  = 'right now'

Now let's say I want to print out the two vars, along with their names.
I could easily do this:
print "myPlace = %s, myTime = %s" % (myPlace, myTime)

But that requires that I know in advance the name of the vars.  What if
they are assigned dynamically.  What I'm looking for is some method (
call it f() ) that allows me to do this:
print "%s = %s, %s = %s" % (f(myPlace), myPlace, f(myTime), myTime)

Any ideas?

repr() doesn't do it for me, nor ``.

thanks
Stewart in Calgary