instance vs class attributes

James Stroud jstroud at mbi.ucla.edu
Tue Mar 29 20:37:50 EST 2005

Sarir said:
> Here are my questions:
>
> 1) What are the benefits of using a member variable without the 'self'
>    qualifier? (I think this is because you can use _x without an
>    instance of A().)

No such thing as a benefit here. self.a inside a method is the same as a
outside (see code below for what I mean).

> 2) Is there a preferred coding style (_x vs self.x)?

This is essentially a non sequitur.

> 3) Should private data be written as self._x instead of self.x?

This is a long standing debate. The usual answer is "we are all grownups
here", meaning that self.x is preferred. However, I personally like self._x
to let potential users of my code know that I intended it to be private.

The code I was talking about:

>>> class bob:
...   a = 2
...   def get_a(self):