Grouping code by indentation - feature or ******?

James Stroud jstroud at mbi.ucla.edu
Fri Mar 25 14:31:33 EST 2005

On Friday 25 March 2005 08:39 am, Ivan Van Laningham wrote:
> As far as grouping by indentation goes, it's why I fell in love with
> Python in the first place.  Braces and so on are just extraneous cruft
> as far as I'm concerned.  It's the difference between Vietnamese verbs
> and Latin verbs;-)

Say I buy into the indentation ideology. Python then has this inconsistency: :

Why do we need : at the end of our if and for loops? I spend approximately 6
minutes/100 lines of code going back and finding all of the times I missed :.
Is it for cheating?

if False: print ":"

Now, what happened to the whitespace idea here? This code seems very
unpythonic. I think : is great for slices and lamda where things go on one
line, but to require it to specify the start of a block of code seems a
little perlish.

--
James Stroud, Ph.D.
Box 951570