Question of speed - Flat file DBMS

John Machin sjmachin at lexicon.net
Sat Mar 5 00:44:26 EST 2005

I.V. Aprameya Rao wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have to implement a flat file dbms. The basic condition is that
> relations will be given in files and i will have to run certain
select
> project join queries on those relations.
>
> Can someone tell me as to which language will be faster, python or
C++??

Faster to get a working app released: Python

Faster to drive you nuts: C++

Faster processing the files: My hunch is C++, but not by much. After
you've shipped your working app (in Python), you'll still have lots of
spare time to tweak up the speed -- IF it's slow, if anybody notices,
and if anybody cares -- and this newsgroup usually provides a lively
response to "how do I make this faster" questions.