IronPython 0.7 released!

James fphsml at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 17:08:17 EST 2005

François Pinard emailed me that my posting of the link with no
explanation appeared rude.

So here is a some information.

IronPython is a Python implementation targeting the .NET and Mono
platforms from the same person who brought us Jython,  Jim Hugunin. MS
hired Jim since the first release (0.6) and this is the first and
eagerly awaited release since then.

Now if I hear something about the state of StarKiller, it would make my
day complete :-).

>From the release....

 IronPython is the code name of the early pre-alpha preview release of
the new Implementation Running on .NET of the Python programming
language. The .NET Framework is a managed programming model for
Windows; Microsoft standardized part of it in ECMA  several years ago
as the Common Language Infrastructure and C# Language Specification
standards.

IronPython is fast - up to 1.8x faster than Python-2.4 on the standard
pystone benchmark. It supports an interactive interpreter with fully
dynamic compilation. It is well integrated with the rest of the
framework and makes all .NET libraries easily available to Python
programmers.

IronPython 0.7 is a pre-alpha release. It is suitable for experimenting
and playing with; however, a large amount of testing, packaging and
library development remains to be done before a production-quality
IronPython-1.0.  We want to be sure to release IronPython in this early
state in order to encourage feedback and discussion in the community of
IronPython's features and designs as early as possible so that we can
incorporate that into the 1.0 design.

Also see
Boo
Boo is a new object oriented statically typed programming language for
the Common Language Infrastructure with a python inspired syntax and a
special focus on language and compiler extensibility.
http://boo.codehaus.org/

Python for .NET
Python for .NET is a near-seamless integration of the Python runtime
with the .NET Common Language Runtime (CLR). It lets you script and
build applications in Python, using CLR services and components written
in any language that targets the CLR (C#, Managed C++, VB.NET, etc.).
www.zope.org/Members/Brian/PythonNet

James.