Turning String into Numerical Equation

Giovanni Bajo noway at sorry.com
Wed Mar 16 19:32:00 EST 2005

Steven Bethard wrote:

>> In fact, the documentation for eval() could be improved to explain
>> the benefits of setting __builtins__ in the globals.
>
> Well, if you think you're pretty clear on what's happening, a patch is
> always appreciated. =)  I have a feeling that the docs are at least
> partially vague because no one actually wants to advertise the
> restricted execution features[1] since no one can guarantee that
> they're really secure...

>[1] Guido say as much
>http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2002-December/031234.html

I am by no means clear. I found out by accident this "feature" of eval and
wondered why it is not explained in the documentation. The link you provided is
a good answer to my question. I understand Guido's concerns, in fact.

Then, I should start my usual rant about how is really sad to send patches to
Python and have them ignored for years (not even an acknowledge). Really sad.
This is why I'm not going to do that again.
--
Giovanni Bajo