smtplib / solaris (newbie problem?)

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Mar 13 16:54:08 EST 2005

chuck at jazzemail.com wrote:
> The error message 'Connection refused' got me thinking that the SMTP
> server wouldn't allow this or required some authentication, or etc.

In case this isn't clear yet: the "connection refused" error happens
in TCP sockets if the remote machine is turned on, but offers no service
at the requested port. To see that in action, try connecting to any
unused port, e.g.

martin at mira:~$ telnet localhost 12354
Trying 127.0.0.1...

The error message that you get when you *do* connect, but then the
application rejects its service because of missing credentials or
some such should be different.

Regards,
Martin