__contains__ inconsistencies between Python 2.2 and 2.3

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Fri Mar 4 15:32:53 EST 2005

Anand S Bisen wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have been developing a code that works pretty well on my python 2.3
> and now when i am running it on my server where it is programmed to run
> it's giving me errors. I have been using __contains__ method and it
> fails on python 2.2
>
> For example
>
> (Python 2.3)
>  >> x="Hello World"
>  >> print x.__contains__("Hello")
> True
>
> (Python 2.2)
>
>  >>> x="Hello world"
>  >>> print x.__contains__("Hello")
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
> TypeError: 'in <string>' requires character as left operand
>

> Is there any woraround for this or what am i doing wrong in 2.2 ?
>
> Thanks

Any use of double-underscores is an indication that magic is at work. In
this case the __contains__ method is intended to be called by the
interpreter when you write

     x in s

The __contains__ method was extended for strings in 2.3 so that
construct could be used as a test to see whether s contained x as a
substring. Before that, as the error message explains, it will only test
to see whether a single character is contained in the string (by analogy
with

     1 in [3, 4, 5, 2]

in case you are interested).

So you'll need to use the .find() string method and say

     if x.find("Hello") != -1:
         ... you found "Hello"

because your ISP appears to be using an older version of Python than you.

regards
  Steve
Come to PyCon DC 2005                      http://www.pycon.org/
Steve Holden                           http://www.holdenweb.com/