MinGW building with Python 2.4

mrstephengross mrstephengross at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 22 15:50:47 EST 2005

Ok, I know there are already a million posts on this group about
getting Python to build with MinGW. I've been through many of them, and
have still not found a good comprehensive way to accomplish this.

I've got Cygwin 5.1 with GCC 3.3.3 on it. I'm using Python 2.4.

Note: You invoke the mingwin compiler *indirectly*, by running gcc with
the -mno-cygwin option.

So first of all, I tried exporting CC='gcc -mno-cygwin', configuring,
and making. You end up getting file-not-found errors, because some of
the include files aren't present for mingw.

Next: I tried pymingw: didn't work :(

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
--Steve (mrstephengross at hotmail.com)