starting windows program from python based on file extension ?

Tim Golden tim.golden at viacom-outdoor.co.uk
Thu Mar 3 06:02:42 EST 2005

[kowald at molgen.mpg.de]
| I used python to build a HTML file and now I would like to
| automatically start my browser to display this file. I guess I could
| use os.system(), but then I had to specify a specific path to the
| browser.
|
| I wonder if it is possible to tell windows to open "myFile.html" using
| the program that is registered to open html files (similar to double
| clicking on the file).
|
| Any idea how to do that from python ??

Python 2.3.5c1 (#61, Jan 25 2005, 19:52:06) [MSC v.1200 32 bit (Intel)] on win32
>>> import os
>>> os.startfile
<built-in function startfile>
>>> help (os.startfile)
Help on built-in function startfile:

startfile(...)
    startfile(filepath) - Start a file with its associated application.

    This acts like double-clicking the file in Explorer, or giving the file
    name as an argument to the DOS "start" command:  the file is opened
    with whatever application (if any) its extension is associated.

    startfile returns as soon as the associated application is launched.
    There is no option to wait for the application to close, and no way
    to retrieve the application's exit status.

    The filepath is relative to the current directory.  If you want to use
    an absolute path, make sure the first character is not a slash ("/");
    the underlying Win32 ShellExecute function doesn't work if it is.

TJG

http://www.star.net.uk