Little Q: how to print a variable's name, not its value?

Bill Mill bill.mill at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 13:40:37 EST 2005

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 18:08:04 GMT, Cameron Laird <claird at lairds.us> wrote:
> In article <mailman.1017.1112113429.1799.python-list at python.org>,
> Bill Mill  <bill.mill at gmail.com> wrote:
>                         .
> >(i.e. I respectfully disagree that mixing data with program code is a bad idea)
>                         .
>                         .
>                         .
> Most applications (as opposed to "system") developers should be doing
> it rarely.  VERY often when they seem inclined to do so, it's just a
> symptom of a confused design.

On that point I can agree. I just wanted to say that there are
valuable uses for mixing code and data. As soon as I sent my email
out, I realized that I meant to say that mixing data with program code
is *not always* a bad idea.

Particularly, yelling at this guy for wanting to figure out a
variable's name is, I think, overzealous. If he just wants to use it
for debugging, then I don't know why he needs to be shouted down.

> In no way do I mean to restrict knowledgeable metaclass authors, LISPers,
> debugger inventors, or other legitimate exceptions to my claim.

I'm confused. Are you ron_adam, cameron laird, or both?

Either way, your point is well taken, and I should have been clearer
in my overly glib email.

Peace
Bill Mill
bill.mill at gmail.com