Text-to-speech

Tim Churches tchur at optushome.com.au
Sun Mar 20 02:10:05 EST 2005

Charles Hartman wrote:
> Does anyone know of a cross-platform (OSX and Windows at least) library
> for text-to-speech? I know  there's an OSX API, and probably also for
> Windows. I know PyTTS exists, but it seems to talk only to the Windows
> engine. I'd like to write a single Python module to handle this on both
> platforms, but I guess I'm asking too much -- it's too hardware
> dependent, I suppose. Any hints?
>
> Charles Hartman
> Professor of English, Poet in Residence
> http://cherry.conncoll.edu/cohar

No, but I do wonder how many other users of Python are
poets-in-residence, or indeed, published poets?

And congratulations on the release of Scandroid Version 1.0a (written in
Python) on 18.iii.05 (as you elegantly record it).

All this begs the question: Have any poems been written in Python
(similar to the well-known Perl Poetry (see
http://directory.google.com/Top/Computers/Programming/Languages/Perl/Poetry/
)?

Indeed, have any poems ever been written about Python - other than "The
Zen of Python" by Tim Peters? A limerick, even?

There once was a language called Python...

(which is pretty close to having three anapaestic left feet)

or more promisingly, rhyme-wise, but metrically rather worse :

There once was a mathematician named van Rossum...

Tim C