Ruby on Rails or Perl's Maypole..is there a Python equivalent

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Thu Mar 3 17:23:16 EST 2005

Gary Nutbeam wrote:
> I count zpt as xml because page templates can operate in html or xml mode.
> This is not a troll. It is a lot of work in Zope to create interfaces to
> relational data for anything more than simple data models.
>
> It's a lot less work in Maypole or Rails, but I don't want to go back to
> writing in Perl, or needing to learn Ruby.
>
> I do like Formulator but the documentation on it is weak. I don't want to
> have to go rooting around in the source code or spending hours on weeding
> through mailing lists for answers. I still have to screw around and glue
> formulator to the data with python, zpt, and zsql methods. Archetypes seems
> a lot closer to a fix, but there are problems with SQLStorage representing
> anything more than simple relationships reliably.
>
> It would be nice to have an object database that is ACID compliant.

Have you looked at Caché? You can download a fully-functional version to
play with, though it's got a fairly steep learning curve for
non-relational use:

   http://www.intersystems.com/cache/
   InterSystems Caché: Post-relational Database

regards
  Steve
Come to PyCon DC 2005                      http://www.pycon.org/
Steve Holden                           http://www.holdenweb.com/