Gordon McMillan installer and Python 2.4

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Thu Mar 3 08:16:13 EST 2005

Svein Brekke wrote:
>>Seriously, if you're only interested in Windows, just use py2exe, or if
>>you want Linux+Windows, try cx_Freeze.
>

> According to the command line help for cx_Freeze and py2exe, they
> cannot pack my program with additional installation files into one
> self-extracting .exe file (which is what I want to do).
>
> Am I wrong on this?

As far as py2exe goes, no, you're not wrong.

On the other hand, there are readily available utilities that
will do what you are asking for, independent of Python and py2exe
and everything else.  Standalone single-file packagers.

Unfortunately I don't recall the names of any, but I'm pretty
sure you can find one if you look, or someone else will remind
us of the names.

-Peter