[Python-Dev] RELEASED Python 2.4.1, release candidate 1

Richie Hindle richie at entrian.com
Mon Mar 14 04:39:26 EST 2005

[Martin]
> However, I just noticed that the python24.dll is in c:\python24. Could
> it be that you have another one in \windows\system32?

I do, yes.

> If so, could it
> also be that the installer has told you that the target directory
> exists, and asked whether you want to proceed anyway?

It probably did, yes.

> In that case, your 2.4 installation was a per-user installation, and the
> 2.4.1c1 installation was a per-machine (allusers) installation. These
> are mutually not upgradable, so you should now have the option of
> uninstalling both in add-and-remove programs.

I'd be surprised if the existing 2.4 was per-user, because I usually ask
for all-users.  It's possibly that it was an all-users installation but I
copied the DLL into C:\Python24 for some reason [...digs around...] yes, I
think that must be the case.  It has a creation date much later than
C:\python24\Lib, for example.

The python24.dll in C:\windows\system32 is 2.4.1c1.  In which case, I
think it all worked perfectly but didn't take into account my manual
addition of python24.dll to C:\python24 - which is fair enough, really.

[ I only see "Python 2.4.1c1" in the Add/Remove list, and no other Python
  2.4 entries (apart from the likes of "Python 2.4 ctypes-0.9.2") but
  that's to be expected. ]

Thanks for looking into this, and sorry to take up your time with
something that boils down to user error.

--
Richie Hindle
richie at entrian.com