looking for way to include many times some .py code fromanotherpython code

Martin MOKREJŠ mmokrejs at ribosome.natur.cuni.cz
Tue Mar 8 16:36:04 EST 2005

Scott David Daniels wrote:
> Martin MOKREJŠ wrote:
>
>> ....  If I put them into a module, it get's executed only once unless I
>
>  > do reload. And I'd have to use: "from some import *",
>
>> because mainly I'm interrested in assigning to self:
>> self.x = "blah"
>> self.y = "uhm"
>

> OK, somewhere in here I think I get what you want to do.  Essentially
> you want to set a lot of attributes on some object which is almost
> always named "self", and the "set a lot of attributes" varies as
> separate chunks.  The perfect application for a function (not a _pure_
> function in the functional programming sense).  So, it is my opinion
> that you want to define a function to call, not include code from some
> other file.

Basically, doing in a class method
def(self, a, b, c):
    self.a = a
    self.b = b
    self.c = c
sounds stupid. With next instance I'll loose a, b, c, so I have to save
then to a variable, "self." prefix is generally proposed way. But
it's not surprising a gets to self.a, right? Actually, I thought about
the *args tuple and even **kwargs, but I thought this will make the core
even less readable. Thinking of it now, you'd probably do
self.__dict__.update(kwargs), right? Hmm, but does it assign to self or not?
I mean, does it equivalent to `a = 1' or `self.a = 1' ? The latter seem to
be true, right?

> How about:
>
> Here are some "whole lot of variables" functions, put them in 'code.py':
>
>     def do_a_bunch(obj):
>         obj.a = 123
>         obj.b = 3.141529
>         obj.c = 'what on earth?'
>         obj.author = u'Charles Dickens'
>
>     def do_other_stuff(obj):
>         obj.a = 123456789
>         obj.b2 = 3.141529 ** .5
>         obj.c = u'Where in Jupiter?'
>         obj.author = u'Martin MOKREJŠ'
>
> And here is how you use them:
>
>     from code import do_a_bunch, do_other_stuff
>
>     class SomethingOrOther(SomeSuperClass):
>         def __init__(self, stuff, nonsense):
>             SomeSuperClass.__init__(self, stuff)
>             self.fiddle(nonsense)
>             do_a_bunch(self)
>
>         def some_other_method(self):
>             do_a_bunch(self)
>

>         def mangle(self):
>             do_other_stuff(self)
>

>> I'm newbie, sure.
>
> That is why I was trying to figure out your original requirement,
> not how to accomplish your original plan.  I was trying to see if
> there was a good reason you needed to use "#include" - like behavior.
> Does something like this address your problem?

This doesn't help me. ;)