embedded python example: PyString_FromString doesnt work?

David Harris david at palmernet.net
Thu Mar 24 16:12:18 EST 2005

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 06:39:47 -0800, Brano Zarnovican wrote:

> Hi David !
>
> I cannot see anything wrong on your code. So, I'm posting my working
> example.
>
> Hint: try to determine, why it is returning NULL (the PyErr_Print()
> call)
>
> BranoZ

OK your example works fine. I inserted it in the original code:
int
main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
    PyObject *pName, *s, *pModule, *pDict, *pFunc;
    PyObject *pArgs, *pValue;
    int i;

    if (argc < 3) {
        fprintf(stderr,"Usage: call pythonfile funcname [args]\n");
        return 1;
    }

    Py_Initialize();
    pName = PyString_FromString(argv[1]);
    pModule = PyImport_Import(pName);

        if (pModule  == NULL) {
	printf( "import went bang...\n");
        PyErr_Print();
        return -1;
    }
}

Te test script (again cut and pasted from the python site example) is just
this:

def multiply(a,b):
    print "Will compute", a, "times", b
    c = 0
    for i in range(0, a):
        c = c + b
    return c

Calling the program gives an error;
"david at palmer:~/source/python> ./test_String script1.py  multiply 4 5
import went bang...
ImportError: No module named script1.py"
script1.py exists and it is in the same directory as the executable so its
not a path error or that kind of stuff.

wierd. does: http://www.python.org/doc/2.3.2/ext/pure-embedding.html work
for you ?

David