survey

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Fri Mar 4 19:22:30 EST 2005

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 14:14:05 -0800 (PST), Dave Zhu
<zhu_dave at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Is there any survey on scripting languages? I would
> like to get information on several scripting languages
> including Python, Perl, Ruby, Tcl, etc.

There are several such comparisons on the web but most will
naturally reflect the authors personal preferences. The Python
web site has pointers to a couple and I'm sure that Perl , Tcl
and Ruby sites will have their own.

My own personal perspective is that I like Perl for one line
hacks and string processing, I like Tcl because I like the
underlying concepts and Tcl programs are often shorter than
others. I like Ruby mainly for a few of its nice features and I
like Python because I can read it when I'm finished!

Those are the things that influence me, not detailed lists of
features. I like all of the languages you mention and uise them
for different jobs. Vive la difference...

Oh yes, and don't forget to include Lisp/Scheme/Guile in
your considerations... :-)

Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program website