python-dev Summary for 2005-01-16 through 2005-01-31

Gerrit Muller gerrit.muller at embeddedsystems.nl
Tue Mar 1 07:22:12 EST 2005

Brett,
<...snip...>
> ----------
> New format
> ----------
>
> I have done a thorough restructuring of the boilerplate and the Summary
> Announcements section for the Summaries.  The purpose of this is to make
> finding information in the boilerplate much easier.  It also keeps
> consistency by sectioning off everything as in the Summary section.
>
> The other reason is for the ``contents`` directive in reST_.  This will
> provide a more thorough table of contents for the web version of the
> summary at the very top of the summaries.  This will allow people to
> jump directly to the section of the Summary they care about the most.
> Obviously this perk only exists in the HTML version.
>
> Lastly, the typical boilerplate for each Summary has now been moved to
> the bottom.  This was at the request of a regular reader who I would
> like to keep happy.  =)  It also seems reasonable since once you have
> read through it once chances are you are not going to read it again so
> might as well move it out of the way.
>
> Then again I could be totally wrong about all of this and manage to
> alienate every person who reads the summaries regularly.  =)

<...snip...>

as always I do appreciate your summaries. This new format, with the
boilerplate at the end certainly is an improvement. However, I always
use your news announcement as a trigger to read the version at
<http://www.python.org/dev/summary/<dates>.html>. I used to do this by
clicking on the "archive" link at the beginning of your message and then
clicking on the latest summary. For my type of reading I would strongly
prefer to have the link to the actual version at the top of the message,
rather than at the end.

I hope you keep summarizing as long as no other volunteer takes over.

thanks, Gerrit

--
Gaudi systems architecting:
<http://www.extra.research.philips.com/natlab/sysarch/>