socket.listen() backlog value

Sinang, Danny D.Sinang at spitech.com
Fri Mar 11 19:31:02 EST 2005

Hello.

Most of the socket articles I've read say that 5 is the normal value for
socket.listen() backlog parameter.

We're running a server (written in Python) with the value set to 10, but
during peak periods, users complain that their clients (also written in
Python) "hang".

Here's the server code :

import os
import time
import string
import LoginParser
import struct
from socket import *
import thread

class Start:

    def startserver(self):

        s = socket(AF_INET, SOCK_STREAM)
        s.bind(('', 7878))
        s.listen(10)
        print 'Login Server started on port 7878'

        while 1:
            client,addr = s.accept()
            cl =  "Got a conection from " + str(addr)
            print cl
            ipaddress = addr[0]
            try:
                msg = client.recv(1024).split("~~")
                p = LoginParser.Start(msg[0],ipaddress)
                client.send(p.reply)
            except:
                pass
            try:
                client.close()
            except:
                pass

    def exitprog(self,event):

        sys.exit(0)

    def __init__(self):

        self.startserver()

====================

The LoginParserver.Start ( ... ) queries a database to see if the
username, password given by the client is valid and returns some
pertinent information to the client.

The server runs on a Pentium 4 with 512 MB of memory, running WhiteBox
linux and Python 2.2 .

We've got about 1,000 employees / users all logging on / off during
shift change and this is when the problems are reported.

My question is, is our socket.listen(10) enough ? Should I increase it ?
What is the maximum value for our particular server operating system ?

Regards,

Danny Sinang
Business Process Reengineering

Tel: +632-855-8686  Fax: +632-855-8630
www.spipublisherservices.com <http://www.spipublisherservices.com/>

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The contents of this message, and any
attachments transmitted with it, are intended solely for the use of the
addressee and may contain information that is legally privileged,
confidential and prohibited from disclosure. If you are not the intended
recipient, or if you are an agent responsible for delivering this
dissemination, distribution, copying, or action taken or omitted to be
taken in reliance on it, is unauthorized and may be unlawful. If you
have received this message in error, please notify the sender
immediately by replying to this message and delete the message from your
computer. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this email
are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of
the company. Finally, the recipient should check this email and any
attachments for the presence of viruses. The company accepts no