win32api.GetFileVersionInfo - error

xytho33 xytho33 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 24 19:43:08 EST 2005

I need to be able to programatically get the version info from a windows
DLL preferably in the same format as what is displayed in the properties
tab.

I was overjoyed to find  Mark Hammond's Python Extensions
(http://starship.python.net/crew/mhammond/)  The package includes a little
demo program "filevers.py" distributed in the win32api download that does
exactly what I need.

Unfortunately I get this error when I execute the script:

C:\work>getfilever.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\work\getfilever.py", line 8, in ?
    d=win32api.GetFileVersionInfo(fname, '\\')
pywintypes.error: (1812, 'GetFileVersionInfo:GetFileVersionInfoSize', 'The
specified image file did not contain a resource section.')

Anybody know what this means, or more importantly, if there is a
work-around?  "fname", in the code snippit above, contains the name of a
DLL compiled with MS Visual Studio .NET 2003.

Thanks,