Change between Python 2.3 and 2.4 under WinXP

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Mar 31 15:24:59 EST 2005

Franz Steinhäusler wrote:
> Is there any possibility under WinXP, to alterntate quickly
> (with batch file or similary) between python23 and python24.

No need to change between them. Just install them both, and
select which one to use on a per-invocation base. I.e. do

c:\python23\python.exe foo.py
c:\python24\python.exe foo.py

If you are concerned that the .py association changes, you
have two options:

1. manually edit the registry. Under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT,
    find Python.File (or Python.NoConFile), then shell\open\command,
    and switch between paths.
2. install 2.4 and/or 2.3 under different user accounts, on
    a per-user basis (rather than the per-machine basis), and
    switch users. One of the installations can be per-machine,
    as per-user settings override the machine settings for the
    user.

Regards,
Martin