There's GOT to be a better way!

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Thu Mar 3 17:11:46 EST 2005

Earl Eiland wrote:
> I'm writing my first program where I call custom modules.  The 'global'
> command doesn't seem to apply, so how do I change a variable internally
> in a module without passing it down n layers, and then back out again?

You are correct in assuming that global isn't what you want - it really
means "global to the module namespace in which it appears".

However, if two separate pieces of code can both reference the same
module then one can set an attribute in the module and the other can
reference it. Don't forget that when you import a module its name
becomes global within the importing module. Since a module is just a
glorified namespace, anything that can reference the module can read
and/or set that module's attributes.

a.py:

import something
something.x = "A value"

b.py:

import something
print something.x

will print "A value" as long as a is imported before b.

regards
  Steve
Come to PyCon DC 2005                      http://www.pycon.org/
Steve Holden                           http://www.holdenweb.com/