assigning a custom mapping type to __dict__

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at iinet.net.au
Wed Mar 2 07:30:09 EST 2005

Steven Bethard wrote:
> support.  Inheriting from dict likely means you have to redefine a bunch
> of functions to raise Exceptions saying that they're unsupported.

Hmm. . .

We've got the NotImplemented singleton already to let special methods say "I
thought I might be able to handle this, but I can't".

Maybe "__op__ = NotImplemented" should clear the associated slot. It would also
make it easier to inherit from list and handle slices in __getitem__ by writing
"__getslice__ = NotImplemented" instead of overriding __getslice__ to delegate
to __getitem__.

Cheers,
Nick.