csv module and unicode, when or workaround?

Chris c at cdot.de
Fri Mar 11 14:10:36 EST 2005

hi,
to convert excel files via csv to xml or whatever I frequently use the
csv module which is really nice for quick scripts. problem are of course
non ascii characters like german umlauts, EURO currency symbol etc.

the current csv module cannot handle unicode the docs say, is there any
workaround or is unicode support planned for the near future? in most
cases support for characters in iso-8859-1(5) would be ok for my
purposes but of course full unicode support would be great...

obviously I am not a python pro, i did not even find the py source for
the module, it seemed to me it is a C based module?. is this also the
reason for the unicode unawareness?

thanks
chris