Bind Escape to Exit

Harlin Seritt harlinseritt at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 13 05:41:27 EST 2005

Binny,

The only way I could think to get this done was like so:

from Tkinter import *

class Application: # take away the inherited class

	def end(self, event):
		self.master.destroy()

	def createWidgets(self):
		self.lab = Label(text="Hello World")
		self.lab.pack()

	def __init__(self, master):
		self.master = master					# Create a class version of master:
self.master
		self.frame = Frame(self.master)	# Change master to self.master
		self.frame.pack()
		self.createWidgets()
		self.master.bind('<Escape>', self.end)	# Change <Key-Escape> to
<Escape>, link bind to self.end

root = Tk()	                # Use a tk instance
a = Application(root)
root.mainloop()          # Call tk.mainloop()

I am almost certain that I had the same dilemma as you. Good luck. If
you find a better way please post it.

Thanks,

Harlin Seritt