Distributing applications

Serge Orlov Serge.Orlov at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 15:05:08 EST 2005

Phillip Mills wrote:
> First, thanks to all the people who have answered so far for the
> suggestions.
>
> In article <U3mVd.102616$Vf.3959417 at news000.worldonline.dk>,
>  André Søreng <wsoereng at tiscali.no> wrote:
>
> > Phillip Mills wrote:
>
> > > My problems are:
>
> [...]
>
> > http://starship.python.net/crew/theller/py2exe/
>
> Apparently I had more problems than I mentioned.  :-)  One of them
> being that a Windows-only solution is only a partial solution.

There is also py2app for Mac. Still partial? :) Then follow Jaime's
way: build and bundle python with your application.

> > >   - I also need the core part of the application to be reasonably

> > > protected.  I'm not looking to defeat hackers, but something
> > > equivalent to the way Java's class files stored in jars stay
> > > where they're supposed to be and aren't immediately readable.
> > >
> > Hmm, not sure about that one. You mean that those users who write
> > extensions should not be able to modify the core code you wrote?
>
> Partly that and partly a file management thing.  For most end users a

> .jar is one thing to deal with; it's the most recent one or it's not;

> it's present in the right location or it's not....

Python byte code is like java byte code and python supports importing
from zip files like java. Since python comes with a liberal license
you can change the importing code to decrypt your modules with a
"secret" key. That will be much safer than java. Of course that won't
stop real hackers.

  Serge.