looking for way to include many times some .py code from anotherpython code

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Tue Mar 8 13:18:04 EST 2005

Martin MOKREJŠ wrote:
> Peter Hansen wrote:
>
>> Martin MOKREJŠ wrote:
>>
>>> Am I so deperately fighting the language? No-one here on the list
>>> needs to set hundreds variables at once somewhere in their code?
>>

>> Nobody needs to do that.  As others have pointed out, creating variables
>> implies wanting to access them distinctly, not as a whole group.  If
>> you are just going to access them as a group, use contain objects such
>> as lists or dicts or a custom class, not individual variables.
>

> I understand, but this is unfortunately not my case now. It's really
> about assigning data from mysql to some variables and getting them later
> checked. The checks will be different for most variables and will even
> differ if I read from sql or alternatively I instantiate first new data
> obtained from web interface and write subsequently into sql (for example,
> all row ID's won't be known while instantiating the objects).
>
>>> Now have to figure out how to assign them easily into the XML tree.
>>

>> This might be the hint that others were hoping for, about your
>> real requirements.  Do you mean to say that the whole reason
>> you have for assigning hundreds of variables is to go and
>> shove the values right back into another data structure such
>> as an XML document?  If so, trust us, you very likely don't
>

> No, the xml is another reason why I wanted to walk over the __dict__
> of some object and let something magically constrcut the XML tree for me.
> But this is really another, distinct problem from teh one I posted
> originally.
>
>> want to do it by assigning and then referencing hundreds of
>> variables.
>

> I need to test almost every for it's content. Some tests
> are just that the value is non-empty (few cases), but in most cases
> a lot more checks (only certain values allowed, or only int type allowed,
> or only \w is allowed ...).
>
> FYI: The program/database runs at the moment under php + mysql.

I will be *very* surprised if you can't get a much better (i.e. easier
and more efficient) solution by stepping back from the programming
details for a moment and explaining what it is you are actually trying
to achieve in user-space.

Can you describe the problem you are trying to solve, rather than the
solution you are hoping to adopt?

regards
  Steve