Problem installing Python in Win98se

Prescott, A. ap22 at leicester.ac.uk
Mon Mar 21 08:53:10 EST 2005

 Hi,

I want to install Python on my Windows 98se system, but although I followed the instructions carefully, it won't run.

Here's a copy of the Web instructions I followed, from Python.org:

"Starting with the Python 2.4 releases the Windows Python installer is being distributed as a Microsoft Installer (.msi) file. To use this, the Windows system must support Microsoft Installer 2.0. Just save the installer file python-2.4.msi to your local machine, then double-click python-2.4.msi to find out if your machine supports MSI. If it doesn't, you'll need to install Microsoft Installer first. Many other packages (such as Word and Office) also include MSI, so you may already have it on your system. If not, you can download it freely from Microsoft for Windows 95, 98 and Me"

The installer I downloaded from Microsoft and ran is called InstMsiA.exe. That seemed to install fine, but the .msi file still won't run.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance,

Andy